Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fairy Tale Ball


Colton's class with the king and queen

Colton loved the chicken legs. He was eating them like a caveman-that bone was clean when he was done!

A toast!

waiting for the feast to be served

Pretty princesses

All the boxes on the tables are what the kids made for their valentine cards.


I am very proud of this cupcake tower because I helped to create it. We had to make 3-one for each classroom.

All the knights striking a silly pose(some had already taken off their costume)

What a handsome bunch!

Colton and the king and queen

Colton and his bff Jake

Colton and his other good pal Parker

Mom and Lord Colton

We both have two left feet so I'm sure we were hysterical to watch

Colton and his princess-she was doing the leading in the dance!

He was hoping to get Kate as a dance partner, but no such luck!

One of the many dances



It is a Lakeview tradition that every Valentine's Day the 1st graders have the Fairy Tale Ball. The boys dress up like knights and princes and the girls dress up like princesses. They spend weeks practicing their dances. The school hires a king and queen to come for the ball. The parents spend a lot of time and effort decorating and preparing for the event. For lunch they are served a medieval style feast in their rooms(chicken legs, cheese sticks, carrots, grapes, meatballs, and cupcakes) It is a little extragavant for 1st graders, but it was absolutely magical and the kids loved it. The dancing part lasted about 30 minutes and it was in the gym. They even let the parents have one dance with their child(the dads dance with the girls and the moms dance with the boys). I got a little teary dancing with Colton. He is growing up so fast! After the dance, pictures were taken with the king and queen. It was such a neat day for the kids as well as the parents. As you can see, I took several pictures. They posted in the wrong order, but I just don't have time to fix it:)

5 comments:

Granny A said...

What a neat idea. I know the kids loved it and Colton looks like he was having a "ball". You really went all out in decorating and having a king and queen there. I wish I could have seen Colton dancing. He looks like he was doing so good. What a great experience and just think, Carson and Ashlyn will get to have it too!!

Nancy said...

How awesome is this Traci. They never had anything like this for kids in the schools here. I am so happy you got to decorate and dance with your little man. The boys and girls looked picture perfect. A wonderful tradition you will all remember.

Anonymous said...

I know Colton had a great time at the ball. So sad he didn't get to dance with the girl of his choice. He is growing up fast. What a nice thing for them to have at the school for the kids.

Jan

Laurie said...

Wow! Looks like all the kids had a real ball at the ball! LOL! Their teacher must have put an awful lot of work into all the preparations for it! Such a cool, fun time & very neat idea. Colton looks so grown up & I love the outfit he wore! He really is growing up so very fast! How precious to dance together Mom!

Wendy said...

Eh...it's alright if you like that kind of thing. It's no Valentine exchange in the ghetto. Beat that. ;-)